Do you want to lead Finance at one of the fastest growing brands in the lifestyle and personal development space? As BestSelf's Director of Finance, you will be a valued member of the executive team, reporting to the Founders. We are currently seeking a Director of Finance to help us scale and shape the future of our business strategy. The role will lead all finance activities such as budgeting/forecasting, financial planning, accounting, equity and debt financing, investor relations, and acting as a partner to all business stakeholders.
You love working on complex business problems and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced and feedback-driven environment. You're highly self-motivated, have a stellar work ethic and you're looking for the right company to support your growth. If this sounds like a good opportunity, we’d love to meet you.
Who We Are
BestSelf (bestself.co) is a modern lifestyle brand creating impact-driven thoughtful products designed to help people to think bigger and achieve more while enjoying today.
In just over three years, we’ve gone from launching a single product on Kickstarter to growing a brand and business to 8-figures in revenue ??. Our store won Shopify’s Build a Business Competition in 2016 and the Build a BIGGER Business competition in 2017 – making BestSelf Co. the only company to win both awards consecutively. We have been featured in the New York Times, Entrepreneur, MTV, Huffington Post, Forbes, Inc., and more.
We’re funded solely through the investments made by thousands of customers who have used our products to change their lives … AKA sales ??
Why BestSelf is interesting:
We are a 100% remote team — you can work from anywhere with a wifi connection.
Every team member is committed to our mission, vision and values.
We'll invest in your career. Our company is growing quickly, and we'll give you the opportunity to do the same.
We're creating an environment where everyone can thrive. Our customers are global and diverse, so we're building a team that is too. ????
????????????This is us at our bi-annual team retreat in Dallas in Oct 2019. We work hard — but also have a lot of fun.
- Bring your relevant consumer/retail experience and a strong point of view as a key member of the senior leadership team.
- Optimize cash flow, with particular focus on marketing spend and inventory buys
- Support the leadership team in setting strategy, day-to-day decision support and setting and achieving company goals.
- As a financial problem solver you will identify how operating performance can be maximized while communicating consistently about performance and investment decisions.
- Manage annual financial planning process and budgets, forecasting and closing processes including financial systems, cash flow and banking relationships.
- Ensure all regulatory reporting requirements and tax responsibilities are met and execution of adequate internal controls
- Develop processes, vendor relationships, contract negotiations and operations infrastructure to efficiently and effectively manage the company’s current operations as well as plan for future growth
- Hire, train, supervise and develop teammates to create high performers that contribute to a culture of teamwork and commitment to the company’s success
- Improve financial reporting processes and ensure proper accounting systems in accordance with GAAP
- Help to lead the planning and execution of debt and equity financing rounds, including dealing with investment banks and potential investors
- Streamline departmental financial and business intelligence in weekly, monthly and quarterly reports (including the development of relevant financial information to steadily share with the team
- 3-5 years of senior financial and/or operational experience in consumer/product driven business, ideally in eCommerce. Broad mix of start-up to larger, matrix organizations preferred.
- BS or BA, preferably in Business Management or a related field. MBA and/or CPA preferred.
- Proven strategic thinker and problem solver when it comes to competitive strategy, business models and resource allocation
- A “player-coach” who can both manage teams and get into the weeds when necessary
- Strong analytical skills and a data driven mindset
- Track record of building and developing strong teams
- Thrives in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Excellent communication and people skills - numbers are key, but a business is built with people. Relationship building and adept communication are assets in our fast-moving environment
Who You Are
- You are independent and want to be a part of something greater.
- You are very self-organized, self-directed and love learning.
- You are a master of strategy and your true north is growth.
- You are action, performance and results-oriented. ????
- You have a measurement obsession. ??
- You are creative, forward thinking and can quickly understand higher business objectives.
- You are hard-working, dedicated, and passionate about all projects.
- You have meticulous attention to detail. ??
- You are a problem-solver and enjoy reaching outstanding solutions to ambiguous problems.
- You are ambitious and able to deliver within agile and swift timelines and deliverables.
- You’re highly organized and good at documenting metrics and learnings.
- You want to become a leader and have a ton of raw potential. You believe that your past experience doesn’t adequately demonstrate your capacity.
- Health benefits (medical, life and dental)
- Team Retreats: 2-3 all expenses paid team trips per year
- Flexible Hours: Want to go to the gym in the afternoon or prefer working later in the day? Not a problem as long as your work is done
- Work remotely: save on average of $5k/year in commuting costs and 100+ hrs each year (aka. 2 ½ extra weeks of vacation time)
- Vacation: 3 weeks paid vacation and all major holidays off
- Monthly house cleaning: Get your house cleaned on the company! : )
- Equipment & education budget